Call Us Today: 02921 252526

Property Rentals Spain

Property to rent in Spain


Why rent a property listed with us?

In partnership with our approved local agents, we offer a professional and helpful service to assist you find the right home, be it a villa, Town House, Finca, Cortijo or apartment. These may be listed by our approved and vetted local agents or even private owners. Please find below some useful information that will guide you through the process of finding a property to rent through us. This is general information and may vary from Country to Country.

Finding a property to rent

We will always suggest you produce a short list of about 4 or 5 properties to view as rental properties can be listed with more than one agent or portal, so even if you agree the viewing of a property, then it will still be available until someone puts down a non refundable holding deposit. So by the time you have booked your flights etc then that property may have been rented via another agent or even the owner direct.

Remote contracts are sometimes available, but a note of caution is that if you sign a remote contract and you do not like the property when you arrive, you could be bound to the contract term and the financial requirements or you may have to pay compensation to the owner to cover his/her losses.

Rental terms

Most properties for rent will be for a minimum of twelve months, these contracts can be extended to a total of three years before a new contract is signed. There can still be a nominal rent increase during that time which should be stated in the contract. If there are improvements in the property during the contract period, then they may also attract an increase in the rent. These contracts will be PLUS utility bills, ie: water, electricity, telephone, internetand SAT TV. Community charges and local taxes should be the responsibility of the Landlord.

Some owners offer a contract which may be any period from three months to six months and may or maynot be extendable.
Anything less than three months is classed as a short term rental and will attract rentals charges higher than a six or twelve month rental and will be more like holiday rental prices, but will include bills.
Many owners will enter into contracts which cover the winter months from September to June as they then rent the property over the summer as holiday rentals.

Holiday rentals are the mainstay of the rental market and now in most Countries, it is a legal requirement for a Holiday rental property to hold a Tourist Licence and this should be displayed in any advertisement. This licence has a requirement for the owner to take a copy of your passport and register your stay with the local Police as many hotels do. There is also a minimum standard for the property.

Rental Costs

The rent quoted will be per month and plus utility bills, they do not normally include internet, cable T.V, gardener and pool maintenance.


Once settled on a particular property you wish to rent, you may be asked to complete a written application form. The planned commencement date shall also be determined.

Administration / Agency Fees

These are normally collected along with the advanced rent and security deposit. At the point you submit your application, a fee may be requested to cover the administration / referencing cost, including the preparation of the application documentation and cost of credit references. The fee is non-refundable if you fail or withdraw the application. Please check what fee’s are applicable as these vary from Agent to Agent.

Holding Deposit

In order to take the property off the market until the planned tenancy commencement or viewing date, a non refundable holding deposit is required. The holding fee secures the landlord against all reasonable costs incurred should you withdraw from the agreement or fail to take up the tenancy within the agreed timescales.

As part of the application, you will be required to provide written references to support the information you provide. This will usually mean a reference from your employer, current or previous landlord and someone to give you a character reference.


Some landlords may wish to apply certain restrictions to a tenancy. Please find below some examples of typical restrictions that may be imposed:

  • No Smokers
  • Pets – multiple pets (dogs) very difficult to find
  • Over 21 only
  • Over 65’s only with a Pension income
  • No subletting
  • Those in full time employment with a Contract of Employment
  • multiple months rent up front

You should be advised of any restrictions before an agreed viewing of a property takes place.

Self Employed Applicants

If you are self-employed, you will require a written reference from your bank and accountant. You will also require accounts, usually dating back 3 years.

Tenancy Deposit

At the start of every tenancy a security deposit will be collected, normally equal to a minimum of one month’s rent though it is not uncommon for some owners to look for two or even three months. This is used in the event of breakage or damage caused or failure to pay bills.

Contry to common belief, this deposit is not there to cover the final months rent.
In accordance with the Housing Law landlords should place the deposit with the local Town Hall or Agents deposit it in a client account and refunded within 30 days provided there is no damage or unpaid bills/rent.
Local Bank Account

You will be required to have a local Bank account so Direct Debits can be set up to pay your bills.
N.I.E number

You will be required to obtain an NIE number from the local National Police Station, this can normally take upto 48 hours or longer to obtain depending on location and time of year. It can be obtained in your own Country via the Spanish Embassy..
Passport copies

You will be required to provide a copy of the passport for each person who will be residing in the property.
When can I check in?

As soon as satisfactory replies to reference enquiries are received, you will be contacted to agree a time to move in on the planned commencement date.

We would advise that for the start of the tenancy, you arrange for gas, electric, water and telephone accounts to be transferred into your name. Please seek independant legal advice to advise you further.

Tenants Insurance

When renting a property it is very important to make sure you are covered by insurance for any damages that may occur. The landlord’s own insurance will not cover the tenant’s belongings. It will not cover if a tenant accidentally damages the landlord’s property and therefore it could result in the loss of your deposit to cover the repairs.
Please seek independent advice.


Rents are paid in advance and by standing order unless otherwise agreed by the landlord / agent.


In many Countries, there are special regulations regarding owning a dog so you should check the requirement for your breed of dog. It could be that you may need specific insurance for you to own and walk the dog.

Health Insurance In Spain

Health Care in most Countries is not FREE to all, you should check here to see what your requirements are. Until UK leave the E.U then the HICC card will cover you for short stays but not for longer stays – more than one month.

What happens if there is a dispute at the end of the tenancy?

It is good sense that both partied meet a few days before the end of the contract to complete the final inspection together and agree what, if anything, needs correcting, this will give you time to get the work done to enable the deposit to be returned. In the event of a dispute, both parties will have 10 days to resolve the matter. Court action will take many months to get a result.